Monday, April 18, 2016

"Mama" Christine Green



It is with a heavy heart that I write that my sweet, sweet, Mama Christine went to be with the Lord on April 11th (she was exactly 87 1/2 years old!).  I have thought about what it would be like when this day came and nothing can really prepare you for it.  She had been in and out of the hospital the last few weeks and really wasn't getting better.  On Tuesday, April 5th we got to diagnosis that she had stage 4 cancer that was found in the fluid around her lungs.  There wasn't much we could do but wait.  I thankfully was able to fly out and see her on April 8-9 and Emily and I spent the night in the hospital with her (I am so glad I did this to spend some extra time with her!).  She was in and out but was fully aware that we were all there and knew what was going on and for that I am grateful! I left Sunday morning and she passed Monday.  It is strange how things workout but I am just blessed I got to see her one last time and she knew I was there!  The next weekend we flew out for her funeral.  We didn't take the girls to the service (thank you Doo Da for entertaining them), but knew we wanted them there to see family, especially Papa!  Emily and Katie had this great idea that all the grandchildren write a little something to Mama and the preacher read that at the funeral.  It was so personal and I loved hearing all the sweet memories we all had!  Till next time, Mama, you made a HUGE impact on my life and for that I am forever thankful!  I love you more than you know.



This was her obituary:
Christine D. Green
Boiling Springs
Christine Dover Green, 87, passed away, Monday, April 11, 2016, at Spartanburg Medical Center. A native of Spartanburg County, South Carolina, Mrs.Green was born on October 11, 1928, a daughter of the late James Richard and Lillian Splawn Dover. Mrs. Green was a retired employee from Abbott Laboratories and a member of First Baptist North Spartanburg. Mrs. Green is survived by her husband, Charlie Crawford Green of the home; two daughters, Dianne Green Sappington and her husband Robert Sappington, of Dallas, Texas, Patricia Lynn Armstrong and her husband J. Armstrong, of Spartanburg, South Carolina; a sister, Laylous High, of Spartanburg, South Carolina; a brother, Paul Dover, of Shelby, North Carolina; four grandchildren, Liza Sappington Howard, Jake Armstrong, Katie Armstrong, Emily Armstrong; two great grandchildren, Ella Howard and Callie Howard. In addition to her parents, she was predeceased by a sister, Viola Brewer and three brothers, Benjamin, Charles and Eugene Dover. A graveside service will be held at 11:00 AM, Friday, April 15, 2016 at Boiling Springs Memorial Gardens, conducted by Rev. Sean Rogers. In lieu of flowers, memorials may be made to Spartanburg Medical Center, Gibbs Cancer Center, 101 East Wood Street, Spartanburg, South Carolina 29303. The family is at the residence. Seawright Funeral Home & Crematory 
Graveside Service, being held, Friday, April 15th, at 11:00 am at Boiling Springs Memorial Gardens.
These are some of the things we wrote:
Liza: Mama was very special to me and I love that my girls got to see and know her in the past few years and thankful that we named Callie after her!  My most favorite memory is watching Hee Haw with Mama and Papa and dressing up in Pat's old dress and dancing around their den!  And recently I loved talking to her about our love for country music.  I am thankful and blessed to have been able to have her in my life for almost 36 years! Mama, thank you for everything you have given me over my life! I love you and look forward to seeing you again one day!

Jake: Dear Mama (pronounced Meh-Maw),
When I came to see you this past Sunday, you were already asleep.  I had a conversation with you – which I’m sure you’ve now been able to see.  I asked the Lord for a very simple thing: that if he had to take you from us that he do it quickly and relieve you of the pain you were in.  Leading up to that conversation there were many thoughts going through my head.  Things such as, “What has my family done to deserve this?” and more specifically, “What has my grandmother done to deserve so much pain?”  These types of situations raise questions and considerations for even the strongest of Christians, and as perfect as I think that I am – I would be lying to say that those questions and/or doubts did not arise within my own thoughts.  I prayed that prayer on Sunday, April 10, 2016 around 2:30pm and sometime between the hours of 2:00pm – 2:30pm on April 11, 2016 – less than 24 hours later – the Lord knew it was time to relieve you of your pain and bring you home.  It was time.  One can look at these situations as purely coincidental, however, I am choosing to see this as a blessing of reassurance for myself and a blatant response from God regarding my questions and doubt leading up to your passing. I do not want you to worry about Papa (pronounced Pah-Paw) – you know that he is in good hands.  He’ll teach those old men a thing or two at Rosecrest. I consider myself so blessed to have had the 25 years with you that I had.  Most people are not able to even have either or both of their parents for that amount of time – so the fact that I had you and still have Papa for so long is a rare blessing.  You apologized to me a few weeks ago before your second trip to the hospital in regards to being unable to attend Keri and I’s wedding.  Now I know that not only will you get to see us get married – you’ll have a front row seat with Jesus himself.  I promise to come visit you as frequently as I can and keep you updated on my job, marriage, children and life.  I keep my faith and know that one day I’ll get to see you again.  I love you Mama – may you Rest in Peace until I see you again. Your Grandson, Jake

Katie: Mama, it feels like just yesterday we were playing dress up in the back bedroom of your house or playing ring-toss in the den while watching family feud.  Those are the memories I will forever cherish and hold onto even harder whenever I feel saddened by your absence.  I lost my precious Mama but Heaven gained the sweetest angel.  I wasn't quite ready to let go, to give my last kiss on your forehead, or hold your hand for the last time, but I find pease in knowing you are in the hands of our Heavenly Father.  Even through the grieving, I am reminded that because of our God we have hope to be reunited with our loved ones and that today was not goodbye.  Mama, you had such a kind, selfless and servant heart.  You lived a life of serving others instead of yourself.  You never failed to tell us how much you loved us and how proud you were of us.  You and Papa set such a good example of living a life centered with Christ and a marriage filled with endless love.  Thank you for loving me so well but most of all thank you for giving me my Mom.  When I look at her, I see so much of you. She demonstrates the same servant hood and humility as you did.  I love you and miss  you more than words can describe.  We have a beautiful guardian angel watching over us.  Love you always, Mama Christine.  Love, Katie
























post signature

No comments:

Post a Comment